Hello and welcome to the Gamer's Source, your destination for gaming information. GameStop is restocking in refurbished GameCubes and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan president and CEO Hiroshi Kawano is stepping down. SO, without further ado, the news:
- GameStop Stocking Nintendo Consoles...From 2002: GameStop is once again selling GameCube consoles until stock is out. The retailer is selling refurbished consoles online, and though controller and console color vary, customers will receive the console, AV cables, power chord and controller all for $20.
This seems like such a weird move, but with the hype behind a new Smash Bros releasing soon, it does make sense that the company would want to dump it's stock of the consoles as soon as possible, banking on nostalgia from fans of Super Smash Bros Melee.
- Sony Loses Another Top Dog: SCEJ president and CEO Hiroshi Kawano has announced his retirement from the company. Having been with Sony since 1985, Kawano-san has been a driving force for PlayStation, most recently the global launch of the PS4. His retirement will start September 1st, which, ironically, is the day Sony will give a special PlayStation event in Japan. Best of luck in all of your future endeavors, Kawano-san.
- Ubisoft to Focus on Less 'Mature' Games for Wii U: Nintendo owners really need to buy Watch_Dogs when it releases on Wii U if they hope to get more adult games from Ubisoft. According to CEO Yves Guillemont, the 'mature' franchises like Assassin's Creed are not selling on Wii U. "What we see is that Nintendo customers don’t buy Assassin’s Creed. Last year, we sold in very small numbers."
Guillemont goes on to say "What we see is that they are very interested in Just Dance, very interested by other kinds of games. So what we are trying to do is to focus more on the types of games they are interested in." Watch_Dogs will be the last 'mature' game to release on the Wii U at this time.
This is not surprising, though it is sad for Wii U owners. Despite the console finally getting some much needed love from Nintendo, it seems that the third party is falling off quickly. It'll be interesting to see how much longer the Wii U will be around, as once all third party titles have dried up, it will be up to Nintendo to solely support the console.
- Two alternative outfits for Zero Suite Samus have been revealed.
- PS Vita exclusive Freedom Wars finally gets a Western release date.
- Reddit app launching on Xbox One today.
- Atari is rebooting two horror franchises: Alone in the Dark and Haunted House.