Microsoft is teaming up with Telecom, China's largest broadband provider, to sell Xbox One consoles. Starting in September when the console launches, customers of Telecom can purchase the console as part of an overall internet package as part of Telecom's Smart Home initiative. This is the second promotion with a large corporation in the emerging market. Microsoft seems to want to get a good foothold on the Chinese market, which will force Sony to put some more money into the country as well.
Last night Troy Baker, Ashley Johnson and the rest of the cast from the Last of Us met in San Diego to perform the Last of Us Live. The script was read by the actors, with Neil Druckmann directing, in front of a live audience and even included the "secret ending". The performance was filmed and can be watched here.
Developer Gust, known for it's JRPG series Atelier, is merging with it's parent company Tecmo Koei. The move is reported to be happening in hopes of streamlining business dealings between the parent and child company. Hopefully this will not impact the release of Gust titles outside Japan, as the developer is renowned for releasing most of its titles to the West, which we love.
EA announced a new subscription service today. Available only on Xbox One, subscribers pay either $5 a month or $30 a year for access to a slew of games as well as 10% discount to all EA games and DLC. The service is in beta now, so there are only a few games available until the full service launches sometime later this year.
It's interesting to see game publishers outside the Big Three and Steam attempt subscription services to their game catalog. Of the game publishers out there, EA is one of the only publishers strong enough with a library large enough to warrant a subscription service to access games. This may be a great deal for Xbox, seeing as PlayStation Now will be launching soon on Sony consoles.
Here's a list of smaller, self explanatory stories of the day:
- Bravely Default reaches over 1 million in sales.
- Twitch plays Pokemon now taking on Pokemon X/Y.
- Walking Dead Season 3 has been confirmed by Telltale.
- The Last of Us PS4 bundle announced exclusively for Canada.
- Xbox Game's With Gold August titles announced.
- Monster Hunter 4 will feature Link outfits and gear.
- Marvel Contest of Champions fighting game announced for mobile.
- Guardians of the Galaxy skins heading to Minecraft on Xbox.
- Trials Fusion will have five more DLC packs to release.
- LittleBigPlanet 3 pre-order bonuses announced.
- Cooking Momma 5 coming to 3DS.
- Ubisoft teasing new city via Watch_Dogs Twitter.
- Lone Survivor coming to Wii U.